- Tony Whitehorn, President & CEO, Hyundai Motor UK Ltd named as one of Autocar’s Outstanding UK Leaders
- Recognised for the “energy and clarity with which he has gone about building the Hyundai brand, plus the bravery with which he has innovated”
- Award presented at 2016 Autocar Awards held at Silverstone Circuit
- Whitehorn has overseen transformation of the Hyundai brand in the UK market
- Tony Whitehorn, President & CEO, Hyundai Motor UK has been recognised as one of Autocar magazine’s Outstanding UK Leaders in the 2016 Autocar Awards, held at Silverstone Circuit.
The awards salute the cars and the people that have had the most impact on the car industry. This year, Whitehorn has been awarded for his “energy, clarity and bravery”.
Tony is one of the industry's great communicators and has a rare ability to convey the biggest, hardest plans with a clarity and simplicity that makes even them seem achievable. He then has the tenacity and energy to see these projects through to success. Under his watch Hyundai has gone from bit-part player to part of the UK car industry's fabric. Nor is he a man to rest on his laurels: one thing we're absolutely certain of is that he will be planning not just one, but two, three or four steps ahead whilst watching his former plans reach fruition.Jim HolderEditorial Director, Autocar, Pistonheads & What Car?
I am extremely humbled to have been bestowed with this award in light of the incredible talent in the UK Car Industry today. I am, and have always been, positive and enthusiastic and that really does help to motivate and drive people. I have seen many incredible changes in the Hyundai brand over the last decade but the success is not just down to me – it is down to our people - our staff and our Dealer Partners. I am very privileged to be leading such an outstanding team.Tony WhitehornPresident & CEO, Hyundai Motor UK
In the last ten years since Whitehorn joined Hyundai Motor UK, the Company has been transformed. It has risen from 21st best-selling car maker in the UK to the top ten, sold over 600,000 vehicles (1,000,000 vehicles since 1982) and has more than doubled its market share. Last year, Hyundai sold over 88,000 – the best year in the Company’s history. This year looks set to be another record year with the first full year of Tucson sales and the introduction of IONIQ – the world’s first car to offer Hybrid, Plug-In Hybrid and EV powertrains in one bodystyle. The IONIQ Hybrid and EV will go on sale in the UK in October.