- Muñoz to oversee global operations strategy and implementation
- He brings decades of automotive and technology experience
- Muñoz also to become Head of Hyundai Motor Americas Region
- Hyundai Motor Company has appointed José Muñoz as global Chief Operating Officer.
In this capacity, Mr. Muñoz will oversee global operations strategies and their implementation. His focus will be to deliver profitable growth and to improve overall performance of Hyundai Motor based on his decades of automotive and technology experience.
José Muñoz has an impressive track record and is proven to be a visionary and motivational leader who is adept at all aspects of our business. His decades of automotive and technology experience make him well suited for this new role as we move the company to the next step. We are looking forward to Mr. Muñoz joining the team, and will lean on his leadership skills and vision to achieve long-term sustainable growth and evolve into a Smart Mobility Solutions Provider.Wonhee LeePresident of Hyundai Motor Company
I am excited to join Hyundai Motor at this vital time in its history. My capabilities around delivering steady profitable growth, managing the entire supply chain, and working together with our dealer partners to find win-win solutions match up well with the opportunity here. I am eager to bring best global practices from the automobile and technology industries to my new role as COO of Hyundai Motor Company and am honored to join this esteemed corporation.José Muñoz
Mr. Muñoz will report to Hyundai Motor Company's top leadership in Seoul. He will start on May 1 and be based in Fountain Valley, California.
Mr. Muñoz has also been named President and CEO of both Hyundai Motor North America and Hyundai Motor America. He will be responsible for the entire American market, including Hyundai Motor North, Central and South America, as the Head of Hyundai Motor Americas Region. Mr. Muñoz is an important hire in further solidifying Hyundai’s overseas business reorganization that was announced last year with the creation of Hyundai Motor North America, among other regional headquarters around the world.
He was most recently the Chief Performance Officer for Nissan Motor Corporation and the Chairman of Nissan China. He joined Nissan in 2004 and during his 15 years at the automaker led significant growth and record sales in the regions he managed.
Mr. Muñoz, 53, a native of Spain, earned his Ph.D. in nuclear engineering from Polytechnic University of Madrid and has an MBA from Instituto de Empresa (IE) Business School in Madrid. He has also completed executive management programs from Cranfield School of Management in the U.K. and INSEAD Business School in France. He is fluent in English, Spanish and French.
- 2018 - 2019: Chief Performance Officer and Chairman China, Nissan
- 2016 - 2018: Chief Performance Officer and Chairman North America, Nissan
- 2014 - 2016: EVP, Chairman of Management Committee, North America, Nissan
- 2004 - 2014: Genera Manager Nissan Europe, Managing Director Nissan Motor Iberia, President Nissan Mexico, Nissan
- 1999 - 2004: After Saes and Dealer Network Development Management roles, Toyota Motor Marketing Europe
- 1996 - 1999: Network Deveopment Director, Daewoo Motor Iberia
- 1989 - 1996: Dealer, Citroën