- The new Hyundai KONA Electric has a new, purer exterior design, signifying clean electric mobility
- Additional safety, connectivity and convenience features ensure an even better driving experience
- KONA Electric continues to deliver one of the best all-electric driving ranges of any electric car, with up to 484 kilometres for the 64 kW version (WLTP) (electricity consumption combined: 14.7 kWh/100 km; CO2 emissions combined: 0 g/km according to WLTP)
KONA Electric at a glance
- The new KONA Electric has undergone bold exterior design updates, making it even more recognisable:
- New bumpers, lamps, wheel design & colours give KONA Electric a more sophisticated character
- Signature claddings have been refined, now coming in body colour, emphasising the model’s width and stance
- Low, U-shaped skid plate and new DRL design make the new KONA even more stylish
- The interior also features a progressive design with a new horizontal layout and new ambient lighting technology in the foot area
- Since its launch in 2018 the KONA Electric has offered one of the best all-electric driving ranges in its segment
- The new KONA Electric will carry over the drivetrain from its predecessor and comes in a 64kW battery version with a reach of 484km and a 39.2kW version with 305km of reach (WLTP)
- The new KONA Electric is equipped with state-of-the-art safety features for peace of mind:
- Thanks to Hyundai SmartSense technology, the new KONA Electric provides comprehensive, best-in-class active safety and driving assistance features – now with even more features than its predecessor
- Features such as Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA) and Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA) don‘t just offer warnings to drivers, but also apply the brakes where necessary
- Further upgraded safety features include Safe Exit Warning (SEW), Rear Occupant Alert (ROA) and Leading Vehicle Departure Alert (LVDA)
- The new KONA Electric features a contemporary horizontal layout with a 10.25 AVN screen & fully digital cluster
- The 10.25-inch AVN is equipped with Bluelink®, Hyundai LIVE Services and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, which further democratisises advanced connectivity and safety technology for Hyundai drivers
Comfort and convenience
- Second row heated seats increase comfort for those travelling in the rear of the KONA Electric
- Electric parking brake provides even more convenience
New KONA Electric: Design, technology, practicality
KONA Electric is a car of no compromises. It embodies the two fastest growing automotive trends – electrification and SUV style. It carries the same expressive design and 'go-anywhere' attitude of the regular KONA. The fully-electric version reflects the individual lifestyle of modern customers who benefit from great fun-to-drive and the low environmental impact of a fully-electric car. The unique platform enables a space-saving integration of the battery packs without compromising the roominess.
Since launching in 2018, demand for the Hyundai KONA Electric has exceeded all expectations in Europe, thanks to its powerful electric drivetrain, long driving range and stylish SUV looks. In just two years, over 150,000 units have been sold globally, including more than 70,000 in Europe. In August, three production models set a new range record of 1,026 kilometres on a single battery charge at the Lausitzring in Germany. Meanwhile, in January, the KONA Electric made it into the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ under the category “Highest Altitude Achieved in an Electric Car”, after being driven to an altitude of 5,731 metres to Sawula Pass in Tibet.
In addition to these impressive feats, the sub-compact SUV also won many awards, making the list for the WardsAuto 10 Best Engine List for 2019 and earning the title “Affordable Electric Car of the Year” at the Auto Express New Car Awards in 2018.
Thanks to KONA Electric, Hyundai Motor won in the new award category “Best EV” at the 2019 Honest John Awards. KONA Electric owners and users of HonestJohn.co.uk praised the EV for its then-range of up to 449 kilometres and driveability. That same year, KONA Electric also won the “North American Utility Vehicle of the Year” award in the CUV category. U.S. News & World Report named KONA Electric the “Best Electric Vehicle” in 2020, and consumer magazine Which? named it “Product of the Year” in December 2019, beating 3,500 other consumer products.
In April 2020, TopGear magazine named KONA Electric their “Best Small Family Car” in the inaugural TopGear Electric Awards, after it completed a 1,600-kilometre road trip across nine European countries. The car was praised for its efficiency and long-distance capability, as well as its smooth and effortless performance.
The Hyundai KONA Electric has also been recognised for small carbon footprint. KONA Electric was declared the “2018 Car of the Year” at the UK’s Next Green Car Awards and named “The Greenest Car in Switzerland” at the 2019 Swiss Car of the Year Awards. In 2020, the EV was awarded the five-star Green NCAP rating, the highest possible rating, based on clean air, energy efficiency, and greenhouse gas metrics. Green NCAP is an independent organisation that rates cars based on energy efficiency and emissions. Next, Green Car Awards gave the KONA Electric the “Car of the Year” and “Family Car of the Year” awards for its value for money and family-friendly practicality.
In 2020, Hyundai started production of the KONA Electric at its Czech production plant, Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Czech (HMMC). This enabled the company to significantly reduce customer waiting times for new electric cars.
The latest product enhancement for KONA Electric was part of a widesweeping effort by Hyundai to electrify nearly its entire SUV fleet. In 2020, hybrid and plug-in hybrid variations of KONA, SANTA FE and TUCSON were introduced, joining KONA Electric and NEXO among the ranks of Hyundai SUVs with eco-friendly powertrains. The following year, BAYON, which features 48-volt mild hybrid technology, also joined the company’s electrified SUV line-up.
The new KONA Electric has undergone bold design upgrades for a pure new look, as well as featuring safety enhancements and an advanced technology package.
When we launched the KONA Electric in 2018 as the world’s first fully-electric subcompact SUV, it represented a major step forward for affordable e-mobility. With the new KONA Electric, we’re showing that Hyundai is fully committed to zero-emissions driving, by providing our customers with enhanced driving assistance and safety features, making it an even more desirable package.
The new KONA Electric combines a clean and sleek appearance with the protective and bold B-SUV body type. A closed grille with an updated look, new light architecture, and body-coloured wheel arch claddings give the model a wide stance and a distinctive appearance on the road. The body has been lengthened by 25mm for a stronger visual stance.
The new KONA Electric is available with a range of new exterior colours, including nine new colours and two-tone roof options.
On the interior, a new, horizontal layout with advanced connectivity technology and new ambient light technology in the front footwells contribute to a modern look. The interior is available with two colour options.
Driving performance and range
As with its predecessor, the new KONA Electric offers two different zero-emissions battery electric powertrains: a long range version with a 64 kWh battery with a maximum range of 484km, and a 39.2 kWh battery with a driving range of 305km (WLTP). The range has been increased thanks to the addition of new premium tyres with the latest product update. The new tyres also offer benefits in terms of performance and range.
The new KONA Electric is also equipped with shift by wire, regenerative braking, and an optional three-phase on-board charger for more convenience.
The new KONA Electric features a number of upgraded Hyundai SmartSense active safety features, including Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA) and Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA). Both features can not just offer a warning but also activate the vehicle’s brakes to prevent a collision if necessary. Safe Exit Warning (SEW) and Rear Seat Alert (RSA) are especially tailored to ensure rear passenger safety. The new KONA Electric is also equipped with a number of passive safety features, including six airbags, and eCall.
The new KONA Electric has been upgraded with a new 10.25-inch digital cluster, and an optional 10.25-inch AVN screen or an 8-inch Display Audio continue to be available. The AVN features the latest Hyundai Bluelink telematics, while the Display Audio comes with wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play. The new KONA Electric is also available with a head-up display and an optional wireless charging pad.
Comfort and convenience
New second row heated seats and a new backseat USB chart deliver even more convenience for rear passengers. Onboard comfort features such as power front seats, three-step ventilation, and an optional heated steering wheel allow for an even more pleasant driving experience even in a variety of conditions.
The new KONA Electric has undergone a series of bold exterior design updates. By combining a clean and sleek appearance with the protective and bold B-SUV body type of the KONA, it expresses its exceptional electric technology while being even more recognisable on the road.
Pure and stylish design signifying clean electric mobility
The front with the new-look closed grille features a pure and clean design. This modern look is further enhanced by the new LED Daytime Running Lights, which emphasise the car’s wide stance. The front is complemented by an asymmetric charging port, a feature unique to the KONA Electric which makes a strong statement about driving electric.
New, sharper headlamps stretch around the side of the car. The high-tech headlamp inner bezel now incorporates Multi Focus Reflector (MFR) technology. The headlamps are connected to the painted wheel arch claddings, giving the new KONA Electric a distinctive and sophisticated look. Vertical air inlets in front of the wheel arch claddings enhance its aerodynamics, substantially reducing turbulence in the front wheelhouse area. Meanwhile, a functional air intake in the lower bumper is visually enhanced by horizontal satin accent bars, which give it a pronounced stance.
The rear bumper retains the accent bars to add value to the overall look of the car, while new horizontally-stretched rear lamps complement the pure appearance of the front.
The new KONA Electric is 25 millimetres longer than the previous version. This ensures it has a dynamic appearance combined with a strong visual stance.
The new KONA Electric is available with a range of new exterior colours, including two-tone roof options.
- Dive Blue [New]
- Silky Bronze Metallic [New]
- Shimmering Silver Metallic [New]
- Ignite Red [New]
- Jungle Green Pearl [New]
- Surfy Blue Metallic [New]
- Dark Teal Metallic [New]
- Cyber Grey Metallic [New]
- Atlas White [New]
- Galactic Grey Metallic
- Dark Knight Grey Pearl
- Sunset Red Pearl
- Pulse Red Pearl
- Engine Red
- Phantom Black Pearl
- Chalk White Metallic
In addition, an optional two-tone roof is available with certain body colours in Phantom Black Pearl or Chalk White Metallic.
Please note: colour availability may vary by market. Check with your local Hyundai PR contact for correct information.
Customers can select from two interior colour packages for further customisation. The Basic Black one-tone package is available with cloth, cloth-leather or leather materials. Alternatively, the Grey two-tone interior package is available with cloth-leather mélange or leather materials.
Meanwhile, new ambient light technology illuminates the passenger and driver side footwell, emphasising the lifestyle character of the vehicle.
- Basic Black one-tone (cloth, leather, or cloth-leather)
- Grey two-tone (cloth-leather mélange or leather)
Segment-leading driving range and all-electric powertrains
Like its predecessor, the new KONA Electric offers two different zero-emissions battery electric powertrains, with no compromises on performance.
The long-range version with a 64 kWh battery (electricity consumption combined: 14.7 kWh/100 km; CO2 emissions combined: 0 g/km according to WLTP) features an electric motor which delivers maximum power of 204 PS (150 kW), accelerating the KONA Electric to 100 km/h in 7.9 seconds. The basic version has a battery capacity of 39.2 kWh (electricity consumption combined: 14.7 kWh/100 km; CO2 emissions combined: 0 g/km according to WLTP), with the motor delivering 136 PS (100 kW), accelerating to 100 km/h in 9.9 seconds. The long-range battery version provides a maximum speed of 167 km/h, with the standard-range battery version offering 155 km/h.
Both powertrain versions deliver 395 Nm of immediate torque, ensuring the new KONA Electric is fun-to-drive with full power available from the first second.
The 64kWh battery version offers a class-leading range of 484 kilometres (WLTP) on a single charge. Meanwhile, the 39.2kWh model offers a range of up to 305 kilometres (WLTP).
The shift-by-wire system enables operation of the car simply by pressing buttons to switch driving modes. It also eliminates the routing space required for housing the mechanical linkages between a normal shifter and the transmission, providing additional storage space in the front of the car.
The Smart Adjustable Regenerative Braking system allows the new KONA Electric to automatically set the regenerative braking level, while paddle shifts behind the steering wheel allow the driver to adjust the intensity of the regenerative braking. The system recuperates additional energy when possible. Regenerative braking is maximised when keeping the left pedal held, allowing the driver to even bring the vehicle to a full stop – without use of the brakes.
Charging the lithium-ion polymer battery from 10 to 80 per cent only takes about 47 minutes using a 100 kW direct current (DC) fast charger. The KONA Electric features an optional 10.5-kW three-phase on-board charger, allowing for significantly shorter charging times using public three-phase AC charging stations or with a private compatible wall box at home. Drivers also have the option of charging their car at a compatible regular household power socket using the ICCB-cable (in-cable control box).
64 kWh battery
- Power: 204 PS
- Torque (motor): 395 Nm
- Maximum speed: 167 km/h
- Voltage: 356
- Battery capacity: 64 kWh
- On-board charger capacity: 11 kWh
- Range (WLTP): 484km
39.2 kWh battery
- Power: 136 PS
- Torque (motor): 395 Nm
- Maximum speed: 155 km/h
- Voltage: 327
- Battery capacity: 39.2 kWh
- On-board charger capacity: 11 kWh
- Range (WLTP): 305km
Even more best-in-class safety features
The new KONA Electric features a state-of-the-art Hyundai safety package for peace of mind. Hyundai SmartSense provides comprehensive, best-in-class active safety and driving assistance systems, and the new KONA Electric is now equipped with even more functions than its predecessor.
Hyundai SmartSense safety features
Upgraded Hyundai SmartSense features that feature on the new KONA Electric include Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA) and Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA), which offer not just warnings to drivers, but also implement the brakes where necessary. RCCA works to avoid a collision when reversing, as the car’s sensors detect approaching vehicles from both sides, with the brakes applied if necessary. Meanwhile, BCA engages the car’s differential brakes to prevent an accident if another vehicle is detected near the rear corner and the driver attempts to change lanes.
Another feature new to this model is Leading Vehicle Departure Alert (LVDA), which alerts the driver if they do not react fast enough when the vehicle ahead of them starts moving. Further new safety features include Safe Exit Warning (SEW) and Rear Seat Alert (RSA). SEW warns passengers intending to exit the vehicle if it is not yet safe to do so. RSA is a door-checker feature that recognises if the rear doors have been opened prior to departing. When the drive is completed, the car alerts the driver if someone or something is in the back seat when they open the doors.
Available Hyundai SmartSense active safety and driving assistance features:
- [NEW] Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA): prevents the vehicle from colliding into vehicles in the adjacent lane or coming from behind when the driver switches lanes by warning the driver and controlling the vehicle
- [NEW] Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA): detects and avoids collisions with vehicles in the rear and side while reversing out of a parking space
- [NEW] Leading Vehicle Departure Alert (LVDA): warns the driver when the vehicle ahead of them starts moving forward in cases where there is a delay to their reaction, for example at traffic lights.
- [NEW] Safe Exit Warning (SEW): alerts occupants if there is oncoming traffic when they attempt to step out of the car.
- [NEW] Rear Seat Alert (RSA): notices if the rear doors have been opened prior to departing and not opened when the drive is completed, and notifies the driver to check the rear seats.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with pedestrian and cyclist detection (FCA-Ped): this autonomous braking function can detect cars, pedestrians and cyclists, warn if a forward collision risk is detected and apply emergency braking when necessary.
- Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go (SCC w/ S&G): maintains both speed and following distance from the vehicle ahead, even after coming to a complete stop
- Lane Following Assist (LFA): constantly attempts to keep the vehicle at the center of its lane
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA): warns and intervenes if necessary when the vehicle is about to cross a road marks and the driver has not indicated
- Intelligent Speed Limit Warning (ISLW): displays the speed limit of the road and warns the driver if they exceed it
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW): helps monitor driving patterns in order to detect fatigued driving and prevent potential accidents. This works in tandem with LVDA.
In addition, the new KONA Electric is also available with eCall, a feature which automatically alerts emergency services if the airbags are deployed or the eCall button is pushed.
The new KONA Electric also comes with a high leve of passive safety. KONA Electric benefits from superior rigidity through the application of high strength steel, high impact energy absorption and minimised distortion, in order to protect passengers in the event of a collision.
Thanks to an enlarged area for the appliance of hot stamping and a ring-shaped cabin shell structure with ultra-high-strength steel, the safety zone has been enlarged for top crashworthiness. The multiload-pass structure of the cabin disperses energy in various directions in the event of a collision and reduces the impact.
Around the interior of the KONA Electric a total of six airbags are installed (two front airbags, two side airbags and two curtain airbags from first to second row, protecting both driver and passengers).
An updated interior with progressive technology
The new KONA Electric is available with a 10.25-inch digital cluster and a 10.25-inch AVN screen. The AVN unit incorporates multimedia and convenience features including Bluelink®, Hyundai LIVE Services and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, further democratising advanced connectivity for Hyundai drivers. Customers who select the eight-inch Display Audio system can wirelessly connect their smartphones to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
KONA Electric is equipped with a combiner type head-up display (HUD). This technology projects the relevant driving information directly to the driver’s line of sight. This allows faster processing of information while keeping attention on the road ahead. With a projected image size of eight inches at two metres distance and a luminance of more than 10,000 candela per square metre, the head-up display guarantees optimal visibility in different light conditions. The angle and height of the head-up display can be adjusted to ensure ideal visibility for individual needs. Once activated via the button beside the steering wheel, the combiner deploys vertically and disappears into the dashboard when not in use. While driving, the head-up display supports save driving by displaying information, such as speed, navigation commands and the fuel level as well as safety-related warnings from assistance systems. Information about the audio mode and radio are also projected.
High-end sound system by Krell
Today’s customers like to listen to their favourite soundtrack in their car, for this reason the KONA Electric offers a high-end sound system by audio manufacturer Krell, featuring eight speakers including two 20 mm tweeters, four 160 mm woofer speakers, one 100mm centre speaker and a 200 mm subwoofer speaker. The eight-channel amplifier delivers 45 W per channel to maximise the audio experience inside the car.
The new KONA Electric also continues to be available with a wireless inductive charging pad, a USB port and an AUX jack.
Available connectivity equipment:
- [New] 10.25-inch open digital cluster
- 10.25-inch Audio Video Navigation
- Hyundai LIVE Services
- Bluelink® telematics
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (Offered wirelessly with Display Audio)
- Head-up display
Bluelink® Connected Car Services
New KONA Electric customers can enjoy the new Bluelink® upgrade, which allows them to control their car with their smartphone or voice to make their drive more convenient and enjoyable. The app displays the vehicle’s range and battery state, as well as charging times, when plugged into different public or private charging points. Users can access an advanced battery management system in order to select charging times that best fit their schedule or their budget by making the most of off-peak electricity rates.
Thanks to Remote Charging, new KONA Electric drivers can start and stop charging at the push of a button on their smartphone via the Bluelink® app. During colder months, Remote Climate Control allows users to schedule a time that they would like to pre-heat their car electrically when connected to an external power source. As well as providing additional comfort to occupants, this also saves battery power that would otherwise be needed to heat the vehicle on the road.
The latest Bluelink® upgrade includes a range of new and advanced connectivity features for increased convenience. User Profile offers increased personalisation, and can be transferred to other Hyundai vehicles providing the same feature. Last Mile Navigation helps customers continue the journey to their final destination via the Bluelink® app even after their car has been parked, using either Augmented Reality or Google Maps. Connected Routing harnesses real-life and historical speed information through GPS, which is stored in the server and updated every month, to predict upcoming traffic every five minutes. This ensures more accurate traffic forecasting, more precise times of arrival, and more reliable route recalculations. Live Parking Information gives users real-time information on the location and price of nearby available parking spaces. In addition, the latest Bluelink® upgrade features Free Text Search for users to enter addresses or points of interest.
Bluelink and LIVE Services features:
- [New] User Profile: stores users’ infotainment preferences, such as language, Bluetooth, navigation and voice recognition settings, in the cloud.
- [New] Last Mile Navigation: uses augmented reality to guide customers to their final destination once they have parked their car via the Bluelink app on the driver’s smartphone
- [New] Connected Routing: cloud-based system that offers even more precise routes for dailing driving thanks to online free text search
- [New] Live Parking Services: Live Parking Services feature has been upgraded to now include on-street parking price information
- Remote services: drivers can lock/unlock their car, use the horn/lights and view vehicle status
- Hyundai LIVE Services: real-time traffic, fuel stations/parking spaces (with prices), weather, speed cameras
- Expanded voice recognition: powerful online (cloud-based) voice recognition with natural language understanding. Activates and controls features like climate settings, infotainment controls and side mirror heating as well as steering wheel heating via voice command.
- Find My Car: drivers can locate their vehicle easily in an unfamiliar setting
- Send to car (POI): search for local POIs and send results to car’s satellite navigation
- Security: Vehicle alarm notification
- Maintenance: diagnostics and vehicle report (e.g. tyre pressure and airbags), driving information
Increased comfort and convenience
A number of convenience features allow for a more comfortable ride, in particular for back seat passengers. As with its predecessor, the new KONA Electric’s second row heated seats allow rear passengers to relax when travelling on longer journeys. The new second row USB port delivers additional power to recharge devices on-board if needed. Meanwhile, an electric parking brake offers even more reassurance for drivers, and can be activated by the simple push of a button.
The new KONA Electric is 25 millimetres longer than the previous version. This ensures it has a dynamic appearance combined with a strong visual stance. With up to 1,114 litres of boot space, it provides plenty of room for cargo.
Boot (in litres):
- Volume with seats up: 332 (VDA)
- Maximum volume, with seats folded: 1,114 (VDA)
As with the previous version, the new KONA Electric offers several features for maximum on-board comfort, such as the power front seats with eight-way electric adjustment for optimal seating positions for each front passenger. The driver benefits from an additional two-way electric lumbar support system. Furthermore, the front seats have a three-step ventilation and three-step heating system for a convenient drive in different weather conditions. Another convenience feature for cold weather conditions is the optional heated steering wheel.
Full technical details can be found in the technical specifications document.