- At the start of November the All-New Kona finally landed in showrooms, and it is now on sale to customers across Europe. Here’s what the motor journalists have said about Hyundai Motor’s first B-SUV.
The All-New Kona is a real SUV with a bold and progressive design, premium features, accessible connectivity and the latest safety technologies. It expresses the lifestyle of modern urban customers and is a confident statement of who you are: You drive it, You define it.
Hyundai Motor recently invited motor journalists from around Europe to experience the Kona for the first time at a test drive event in Barcelona. Here’s how the press reacted after they got behind the wheel of this B-SUV for the first time.
1. UK car magazine Autocar awarded the Kona four stars, stating that the car offers “substance to go with the Kona’s style”. The publication says that the Kona is “unquestionably a contender among this fast-expanding class of crossovers, and it’s more polished than many of them too.”
2. The BBC’s Top Gear recommends the Premium GT model of the Kona range. “Premium GT is the ultimate trim – you get the big engine, all-wheel drive and automatic gearbox plus full LED headlights and a Safety Pack that gives auto emergency braking”.
3. The UK’s Carbuyer.co.uk describes the Kona’s interior as “impressively refined” and awards high marks for its reliability and safety: “the Hyundai Kona comes with lots of safety kit as standard and the brand has a reputation for good reliability”.
4. The UK’s Auto Express praised the “funky” looking Kona for its design options, noting that there is “plenty of scope for personalisation”, as well as highlighting the optional of four-wheel drive.
5. “The wait was worth it,” declares German newspaper Welt in its assessment of the Kona, which is Hyundai Motor’s first B-SUV. The publication notes the extensive range of smart driving features such as Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Detection and High Beam Assist and says that “passengers will not only feel comfortable, but also safe in the Kona”.
6. German website t-online.de says that the Kona will provide “cool competition” for established models in the subcompact SUV market, highlighting the car’s technological features: “Built on a completely new platform with McPherson struts at the front and a multi-link rear suspension, which is good for agility”.
7. Spanish newspaper Elmundo says the Kona is a “a well-tuned product”, and praises its design: “It is a striking car, with a pointed headlight on the top and LED headlights in a lower position, a front grille in the form of a waterfall and prominent plastic protections at the bottom”.
8. “Four eyes are better than two,” says Italian website Quattroruote, referring to the Kona’s four optics, which make it unique compared to other subcompact SUVs. It considers the cockpit “surprising”, in a good way: “for the quality of materials and assemblies”.