- Simon Loasby to lead Hyundai Motor’s design direction, strategy and design development of strategic model in China
- New Head of Hyundai China Design brings 25 years of experience to strengthen the brand’s design capability in the fast-growing market
- Mr. Loasby has extensive experience of designing mainstream and luxury vehicles for global and Chinese car buyers
- Hyundai Motor has announced that Simon Loasby, a renowned car designer and an expert in the Chinese market, will lead Hyundai Motor’s design strategy and design development in China.
Based at Hyundai Motor’s design center in Hyundai Motor’s Technology & Engineering Center (China) in Yantai from mid-June 2017, Mr. Loasby will take on the role of Executive Director and Head of Hyundai China Design.
Mr. Loasby will call on 25 years’ experience – including a decade based in China – to ensure continuity of Hyundai Motor’s global design language, in addition to developing strategic localized models for the Chinese market.
Simon Loasby is a renowned designer with incomparable experience in automotive design for the Chinese market. We are confident that Simon will greatly enhance our development of strategic models that will excite Chinese customers.Peter SchreyerPresident and Chief Design Officer at Hyundai Motor
During his 10 years in China as Director of Design for Volkswagen Group China, Mr. Loasby was pivotal in delivering concept and production models for both the Volkswagen and Skoda brands. The Jetta, Lavida, and Lamando are just few of the products that Mr. Loasby worked on for Volkswagen Group China.
Prior to joining Volkswagen, Mr. Loasby led design at both Rolls-Royce and Bentley Motor Cars, where he was highly influential in the design of cars including Rolls-Royce Silver Seraph, Bentley Arnage and Bentley Continental GT.
Mr. Loasby, 49, earned a Master’s Degree in Vehicle Design from the world-renowned Royal College of Art in London, United Kingdom and studied Mechanical Engineering at Imperial College, University of London. He will report to President Peter Schreyer and Luc Donckerwolke, Senior Vice President and Head of Hyundai Motor Design Center.
2017 marks the 15th anniversary of Beijing Hyundai Motor Co. (BHMC), a 50-50 joint venture between Hyundai Motor and Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co. For the past 15 years, BHMC has grown rapidly with strategic models like Celesta, Mingtoo, Yuedong and ix25 establishing the brand in the Chinese market. BHMC’s plans for growth build on its success to date with several new SUV models set for launch soon – each developed specifically for the Chinese market.
Biography – Mr. Simon Loasby
- 2008 ~ 2017 Director of Design, Volkswagen Group China
- 2001 ~ 2008 Design, Volkswagen, Germany
- 1991 ~ 2001 Design, Bentley and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, UK
- 1989 ~ 1991 Master’s Degree in Vehicle Design, Royal College of Art, London