- Hyundai Motor has released the first video in a seven-part series on the European Hyundai N model line-up
- The first episode will centre on the development of European N models, explaining their history, philosophy, and strategy
- The remaining six episodes will be deep dives – including test drives – of the N models available in Europe: i20 N, i30 N, and KONA N
Hyundai Motor is releasing a video series that highlights the history and heritage of Hyundai N, encompassing the company’s high-performance vehicles. In the first episode, Tyrone Johnson, Head of Vehicle Development at Hyundai Motor Europe Technical Center (HMETC), recounts the history of N, the philosophy that drives it, and the research and development processes that go on behind the scenes. This video is the first in what will be a seven-part video series focusing on the latest European Hyundai N model line-up.
Documenting the success of N models in Europe
To set the stage for the following six episodes, Johnson introduces the N philosophy that certainly applies to all European models: i20 N, i30 N (both body types), and the recently-unveiled KONA N. Two episodes are dedicated to each N model, with the first focused on product information from the respective European Product Managers and the second featuring the N driving experience.
Askin Kahraman, Marco Di Meo, and Deni Redzepovic cover the design, specifications, and positioning of the i20 N, i30 N, and KONA N, respectively. Alexander Eichler, Executive Expert for Vehicle Development at HMETC, takes each vehicle on a test drive and shares his impressions of each driving experience.
Hyundai N: Never just drive
The company recently announced Hyundai N’s new claim: ‘Never just drive’. N models are outfitted with high-performance engines tuned for great responsiveness and excellent power output that show customers that driving is more than just reaching a destination – it can be exciting as well. This claim fully captures the N mindset and spirit:
Do more than simply drive. Enjoy every second of it.
The origins of N: Born in Namyang, honed at Nürburgring
Born in Namyang, honed at Nürburgring. Hyundai N stands for Namyang, the location of Hyundai Motor’s global research and development centre in Korea and the birthplace of the idea. Opened in 1995, the Namyang R&D Center is the heart of the company’s global research and development network as well as where the i30 N was conceived.
Hyundai N also stands for Nürburgring, where Hyundai Motor’s European Test Centre – operated by HMETC – is located. Nürburgring-Nordschleife, one of the world’s most challenging racetracks, was and is where N’s high-performance technologies are further developed and tested to create the moment of genuine connection between car and driver. The connection between Namyang and Nürburgring created the foundation for N.
The ‘N’ also symbolises a chicane. This shape captures Hyundai’s commitment to developing high-performance cars and embodies agile vehicles that are fun to drive. Hyundai incorporated this shape into the logo to represent the ultimate driving experience on winding roads.
The first episode of “Hyundai N in Europe” will air on 5 May 2021 on the company’s official YouTube channel.
About Hyundai Motor Europe Technical Center
Hyundai Motor Europe Technical Center GmbH in Rüsselsheim, Germany, is part of the Hyundai Motor Group. Opened in 2003, its purpose is to make sure that every Hyundai which comes to Europe meets the demanding standards of the European customer and to adapt the car to the needs of that specific market. The High Performance Vehicle Development Team takes the challenge to deliver the ultimate driving fun to Hyundai’s N vehicles. Using motorsport-inspired technology, all components and systems are precisely checked and balanced to meet the expectations of the N customers. From chassis kinematics, via suspension, steering, vehicle dynamics controls, tyres and brake systems to cooling and aerodynamics, HMETC covers all driving dynamic and performance-related components.
Disclaimer: CO2 and emissions data
- i20 N: This model may not yet be available for sale in your country. Fuel consumption and CO2 values for this model have not yet been determined.
- i30 N: This model may not yet be available for sale in your country. Fuel consumption and CO2 values for this model have not yet been determined.
- i30 Fastback N: This model may not yet be available for sale in your country. Fuel consumption and CO2 values for this model have not yet been determined.
- KONA N: This model may not yet be available for sale in your country. Fuel consumption and CO2 values for this model have not yet been determined.